ASCII Extended Characters

rayala25

Programming Experience
1-3
[RESOLVED] ASCII Extended Characters

Hello,

I'm a new to vb.net and i'm having a problem, i have searched the forum but i can't find useful info, please help.

I'm trying to use an extended ascii character in a textbox (179)
ASCII table says the char 179 is "│" (a vertical line), but when i use char(179) i get "³" (a small number three)
When I copy paste this char (vertical line) from charmap to my code and run my program it displays as it is, no problem, but when i save my project and reopen it, this char is replaced by a "¦" (two vertical lines)

How can i display this char in my textbox?

This is to display a tree structure from a db.

Regards.

----------------------
Thank you very much ayozzhero, it was resolved by selecting "advanced save options" and set "unicode (utf-8 with signature) Code Page 65001" as you said.

Thanks JuggloBrotha for your help, i'm using Courier New as font, it supports that character.

Last edited:
I hope I understood you well... try Save As (no need to change the filename), chose Save With Encoding, and select appropriate encoding...

most text editors use Times New Roman font by default (MS Word for example) and VB.Net forms set everything to Ariel by default, Ariel doesnt have that vertical line that Times New Roman does

change the font of the textbox to Times New Roman then try char(179) again

Back