Question Are Web Services always running as 1 single instance or do they work like web pages?

ImDaFrEaK

Programming Experience
5-10
I have never used Web Services before so I don't know much about how they work as far as being instantiated so here is what I need and will a web service do this for me?

My web site will send out notifications to users based on alerts they setup in their profile. The notifications are text msgs or email. I need a web service (I was hoping) to run a check every x minutes or hours and send the notifications to users. Will a web service do this?

The reason I ask is because I don't know if a web service is a program thats constantly running on the web site and holding 1 instance or code or if it is instantiated and ran only for each call to a service. Any help would be appreciate ie how the service works for my own info and alternatives that I have overlooked or are not aware of. Thanks.

Web Services work like web server pages per request, only without UI. You need a windows client app (running or scheduled) or windows service to do that.

Thanks JohnH. Years ago I tried to write a windows service and I never really understood what I was doing, maybe because I never really had a reason to write one but I'll give it a shot. I read somewhere about SQL being able to send alerts automatically. Is this so?

Thanks Sabrina and John, I finally got it down pat. Your help was great. It wasn't difficult at all after I finally wrapped my noodle around it. :)

Back