Application Development Question

Cricket

Programming Experience
5-10
I'm new to VB.NET. I have plenty of experience with VB 6, however I've come to realize this now means that I'm actually worse off =(.

I've read about 10 books on VB.NET and have only found simplistic examples that don't really work in real life applications. For example; the way the books tell you to navigate through a disconnect DataSet is to use a CurrencyManager. However who in their right mind loads a whole table (it could be huge!). So I imagine there are standards and ways to grab just the right amount of data, navigate through it and then grab more when required. However there is absolutely nothing written on this critical subject (that I've read).

I've tried to use the simple examples and build on them, but have ran into a number of other issues.

Does anyone know of a good book(s) that goes through building a real application? Or at least point me to a resource that could help in this?

I'd recommend VB.NET CookBook from MS Press. It doesn't build an application, but it's broken up into very good code exaples, with a fiar amount of detail.

As for not loading the table data, (unless I'm misunderstading you question) you could use a select where. Although IMO selecting sections of data isn't going to have any benifit over selecting all of it.

TPM

Thanks for your reply. I'll have to check to see if they have that book in the local Chapters.

So you think I should just load the whole table into a disconnected DataSet? What if this table has thousands of rows of data? That's a huge amount of memory.

I currently use the WHERE statement to grab only a bit of data. But while navigating you need to at some point automatically grab the next bit of data. I was just wondering if there are some standards (common practices) around this.

Well your going to load the data one way or the other, so you'll sill use the memory. If you do it in chunks then you have the added overhead of connecting each time.

If you want to go with the split datatable, you'd use a while loop to increment through the data.

Back