Animating graphics?

vis781

Programming Experience
5-10
Animating graphics? [Resolved]

Can anyone help? I have begun to use gdi+ and can use pens, brushes, gradients etc. However i would like to know how to make them appear animated... for example, how would i make a wire frame cube appear as though it is rotating on the x axis on a windows form? any help would be greatly appreciated as i have an exam on this coming up in the near future.

Last edited:
You would need to recalculate what the object should look like from the new perspective, convert that to a 2D image and draw it. You are presumably drawing this object on a Paint event. You need to provide code that will do the necessary calculations and draw the required 2D image. This will potentially slow your application down considerably. I'm no GDI+ guru so I'm sure how much calculating you would need to be doing to see a performance effect, but we already know that 3D graphics is very resource intensive, and this is just a very simple case of that.

There are some 3D engines written in VB.NET using GDI+, but as jmcilhinney suggests they are resource intensive and can be slow.
I would suggest using DirectX or OpenGL if you want to do 3D.

Back