Adding Flash Object

gcollins

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am trying to add the Shockwave flash object to a form when I do so I get the following error:

"Failed to import the ActiveX control. Please ensure it is properly registered"

How do I register this control and what do I need to do so?

I am using Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition

Remove this reference and Add Reference again, now that you should have a working Shockwave installation.

EDIT: I just noticed something peculiar, I got the same yellow sign and an error about missing dependency 'stdole'.. Anyway Add Reference first to COM 'OLE Automation' library (stdole2.dll), the add the Shockwave Flash Object. Now should be working fine.

Hmmm... that's interesting. I must only have added Shockwave Flash objects to forms in VS.NET 2003 before. I just tested it in 2003 and it worked fine but I also get that same issue in 2005. The assembly the error refers to is the same one that is added without issue in 2003 so that's rather odd. When I try to add a reference to stdole.dll directly it lists it in two locations and they both say that they're Framework version 1.0 so maybe that's the issue. Referencing them still won't enable the Shockwave Flash object in 2005. The reference JohnH mentions is, I guess, a .NET 2.0-compatible version but it must not have been installed in the GAC.

I Can't seem to find 'OLE Automation' library (stdole2.dll)'

I am using Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition does that have anything to do with it?

Last edited:

Attachments

• OleAutomation.JPG
    OleAutomation.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 50
User have to install Flash too, the added reference is just an import mapping the library ready for development.

jmcilhinney, same here, I earlier only added Shockwave and it imported stdole automatically. Btw, it was stdole.dll, as listed in screenshot stdole2.tlb type library version 2.0. Actually I forgot about this very issue from 4 months ago http://www.vbdotnetforums.com/showthread.php?t=10588&highlight=stdole

My program will just run off a cd, I guess i need to check for the player and if it isn't installed then run the flash installer (let them know of course).

Or is there a better way?

Back