Add Script to ASP.NET

JoeVB

Programming Experience
5-10
I am updating an application I created in VS 2003. It uses VB.NET and ASP.NET. I have only a little bit of java script from an example I downloaded a year ago and put into the proiject.

What I'd like to do is get some of the validation on the form moved over from server-side to client-side. I am trying to make this more portable for people in the field.

So, is java script the way to go for this? The first thing I want to do is have a Java Script calendar show up when a text box is clicked on the form. Doesn anyone have any examples or helpful information? Not sure where to start here. Most everything in the project is server-side, even the labels and text boxes.

Thanks.

Joe

If you can program in .Net you can program in Java Script a log easier in
my opinion. I'm not sure if it will do what you need but if it does go for
it.

There's lots of free stuff out there and its completely controled from the
server. You can serve up dynamic different versions also.

I'd like to hear from others since I know nothing of ASP. Does ASP do
anything client side?

ASP.NET does many things client side. The way it does it is to inject javascript. Both Frameworks (1 & 2) include validation controls that perform client side.

Don't confuse ASP.NET with a programming language such as VB.NET or javascript (ASP.NET <> VB.NET AND ASP.NET != C#). ASP.NET is a set of web development technologies. Programmers can write ASP.NET code using any of the different programming languages supported by the .NET Framework, usually C#, Visual Basic.NET, or JScript .NET, but also including open-source languages such as Perl and Python.

Back