Access VB.Net DLL from VBScript / ASP

lankylad

Programming Experience
10+
I have created a VB.Net Class Library and the DLL has been successfully stored in the BIN folder. I can access the classes using VB.net.

My question is, how can I access this same Class Library from my legacy VBScript / ASP world? :confused:

Why not expose your classes behind a ASP.NET Web App?
Then you can just call the convenient URL with the needed parameters from Classic ASP or even plain html?

Otherwise you'll have to go the COM route.

I assumed that direct access to the Class Library DLL would be more efficient that going thought a web service layer. Is that not something I need to worry about?

Beats me: I haven't got the faintest idea what your applications / libraries do or are supposed to do (neither server side nor client side).
Also: maybe you don't have to use a web service: an ASP.NET Web Application could suffice (but again, this depends on the specifications).
Personally though, I would be willing to go al long way to dodge the installation, configuration, security, maintenance and deployment hassles of COM components.

Basically I have a set of Vbscript / ASP Common routines that are used server side in a number of different web sites. I wish to convert this set of routines to a vb.net DLL so that it is available as I rewrite the web sites in .net. In the interim I also need to access these routines in my legacy vbscript / asp web sites.

I'm not a pro but think I can offer something. Can't you add a reference from ASP to your DLL. Then the VBScript uses a GUID that you can search for in the windows registry. Goto several websites that use scripts and view source and look for an object declared with a GUID thats how you use objects in VBSCript. Try searching the registry for your component to get the GUID.

quickbasic22 said:
I'm not a pro but think I can offer something. Can't you add a reference from ASP to your DLL. Then the VBScript uses a GUID that you can search for in the windows registry. Goto several websites that use scripts and view source and look for an object declared with a GUID thats how you use objects in VBSCript. Try searching the registry for your component to get the GUID.

although I think the .NET does not use GUID's but ClASS ID's Instead.

Back