Access DB error

mattyfed

Programming Experience
1-3
I removed some old fields from the Access database in my .net project and any corresponding code in the project. I tried to test the updates and received an error. The only solution that I know of (and tried) was I went through windows explorer, browsed to the Database folder, right clicked on it, went to properties, clicked the Security tab, selected the user "Everyone" and checked the "Allow" for Modify and Write.

I am still receiving the error. I browsed to the database folder to ensure that there was no lock file, and there wasn't. I am able to open the DB and close it with no problem, but my .net project does not like it.

The error that I receive is:

The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file
'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\InvPortfolio\Database\InventTrack.mdb'. It is alreado opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

I even tried to download the production database and replace the database that I had updated, but that did not work either.

PLEASE HELP ME.......
Thanks.
Matt

You have a space in the file name, I'm guessing that's just a typo though..
Do you see an InventTrack.lbd in the same folder? That would show it's open/wasn't closed properly.
Also try specifically adding the aspnet user.

mattyfed said:
I removed some old fields from the Access database in my .net project and any corresponding code in the project. I tried to test the updates and received an error. The only solution that I know of (and tried) was I went through windows explorer, browsed to the Database folder, right clicked on it, went to properties, clicked the Security tab, selected the user "Everyone" and checked the "Allow" for Modify and Write.

I am still receiving the error. I browsed to the database folder to ensure that there was no lock file, and there wasn't. I am able to open the DB and close it with no problem, but my .net project does not like it.

The error that I receive is:

The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file
'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\InvPortfolio\Database\InventTrack.mdb'. It is alreado opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

I even tried to download the production database and replace the database that I had updated, but that did not work either.

PLEASE HELP ME.......
Thanks.
Matt

Hi,
I'm assuming you have remote access to this database that has beed accessed by other users as well ... if it's so go: Tools>Options>Advanced>choose "Shared" -Default open mode

Cheers ;)

If the you are working in a ASP.NET application, the solution is very simple:

1- In Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > UnCheck Use Simple File Sharing
2- Right click in the Database (I.E Prueba.mdb) > Properties > Security
3- Click in the ADD Button > Write ASPNET (without a DOT!!!) > Click OK
4- Check READ, WRITE and Click OK.

That's All.

Note: If you are working with a VB.NET application, this process is not necessary.

Regards.

Back