A simple question..how do I load another form

diverdan

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi there

As you can tell from my question im very new to vb.net

I have been playing around and have 2 forms.

The first form is form1.vb and the 2nd is form2.vb.

I tried adding a button to the form and added this code to it but it doesn't work.

VB.NET:
Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Form2.Show()
        Me.Hide()

End Sub

Can someone please tell me what I need to change.

Thanks for your help

Hi again,

I have another question regarding loading another form.

The above method worked fine but I have just been playing around with the properties of a project and changed the first form to load when the project opens.

When I try use the above code to load a form the editor does not reference my other form automatically.

How do I use this code to reference another form?

Any tips would be great.

Thanks again!!

Hi Dan :)
if you wanna open a form from your main form ( eg : open Form2 from Form1 ) & them to ' talk ' to each other etc...
you need to modify the constructor of the other forms ( not the main form you open, just the others )
eg:
VB.NET:
[FONT=Courier New]'/// modify the constructor of the other form ( in this case Form2 )[/FONT]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New]Public [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Class[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New] Form2[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]   Inherits[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New] System.Windows.Forms.Form[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]   #[/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Region[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] " Windows Form Designer generated code "[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]   [COLOR=seagreen]'/// this will allow you to access whichever form called you ( eg : Form1 )[/COLOR][/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]   Private[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] frm [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New] Form[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]   Public [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] f [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New] Form)[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]       MyBase[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New].New()[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]       frm = f[/FONT]
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][FONT=Courier New]       'This call is required by the Windows Form Designer.[/FONT]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]       InitializeComponent()[/FONT]
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][FONT=Courier New]       'Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent() call[/FONT]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]   End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=seagreen]   '/// All the rest of the Form2 construction would be here ...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=seagreen]   '/// then to access Form1 ( from a button_click in this case ) ...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]   Private [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Button1_Click([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] sender [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.Object, [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] e [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.EventArgs) [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Handles[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New] Button1.Click[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]       [COLOR=seagreen]'/// get hold of the form that called you, in this case Form1, so we make a direct cast of it[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]       Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] theForm [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Form1 = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]DirectCast[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New](frm, Form1)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]       [COLOR=seagreen]'/// set the  caption of the calling Form, to something, so you can see what happens ...[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]       theForm.Text = "*** testing 123 ***"[/FONT]

[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]   End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
to call / create the Form2 from your opening form ( Form1 ) ...
VB.NET:
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Private [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Button1_Click([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] sender [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.Object, [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] e [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.EventArgs) [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Handles[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New] Button1.Click[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]   Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] frm2 [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Form2([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Me[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New])[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]   frm2.Show()[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

dynamic sysop said:
Hi Dan :)
if you wanna open a form from your main form ( eg : open Form2 from Form1 ) & them to ' talk ' to each other etc...
you need to modify the constructor of the other forms ( not the main form you open, just the others )
eg:
VB.NET:
[FONT=Courier New]'/// modify the constructor of the other form ( in this case Form2 )[/FONT]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New]Public [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Class[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New] Form2[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]  Inherits[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New] System.Windows.Forms.Form[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]  #[/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Region[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] " Windows Form Designer generated code "[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]  [COLOR=seagreen]'/// this will allow you to access whichever form called you ( eg : Form1 )[/COLOR][/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]  Private[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] frm [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New] Form[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]  Public [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] f [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New] Form)[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]      MyBase[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New].New()[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]      frm = f[/FONT]
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][FONT=Courier New]      'This call is required by the Windows Form Designer.[/FONT]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]      InitializeComponent()[/FONT]
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][FONT=Courier New]      'Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent() call[/FONT]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]  End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=seagreen]  '/// All the rest of the Form2 construction would be here ...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=seagreen]  '/// then to access Form1 ( from a button_click in this case ) ...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]  Private [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Button1_Click([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] sender [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.Object, [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] e [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.EventArgs) [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Handles[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New] Button1.Click[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]      [COLOR=seagreen]'/// get hold of the form that called you, in this case Form1, so we make a direct cast of it[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]      Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] theForm [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Form1 = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]DirectCast[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New](frm, Form1)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]      [COLOR=seagreen]'/// set the  caption of the calling Form, to something, so you can see what happens ...[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]      theForm.Text = "*** testing 123 ***"[/FONT]

[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]  End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
to call / create the Form2 from your opening form ( Form1 ) ...
VB.NET:
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Private [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Button1_Click([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] sender [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.Object, [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] e [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.EventArgs) [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Handles[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New] Button1.Click[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]  Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] frm2 [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Form2([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Me[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New])[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]  frm2.Show()[/FONT]
[/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just as an added footnote. It would be better to overload the contructor rather than change the existing one. You could use it either way then.

Back