A beginner to VB.Net

Jayakumar

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi...

I am a beginner to VB.NET. I would like to know how and where to start learning VB.NET. How do I configure the server in my local system. I have a system with Windows XP. What other applications do I require to install and run VB.Net script on my script. Please help me.

thanks

I am assuming you are asking how to run ASP.NET applications written with VB. I am no expert but I do know you need to make sure IIS is installed. If you are using Windows XP Pro then you can install it from the Windows disk. Just go to Add/Remove programs in windows; choose the tab on the left titled "Add/Remove Windows Components" and then choose to Add IIS (Internet Information Systems is what I think it stands for). Once this is done IIS can host a web server for you. Then you simply build a website with Visual Studio and whatever folder you Publish the site to or buld it in actually you use as the Home Directory and Virtual Directory in IIS. You run IIS from the Administrative Tools located in the Control Panel of Windows. You will need to configure your firewalls to except port 80 (or whatever port you choose but 80 is default for WebServers) and you will need a static IP/Register a name with the DNS/and or use a program called No-Ip that redirects a default name like http://DNSNAME.no-ip.info/ back to your computers Home Directory in IIS. Like I said I am at no means an expert at ASP.NET and or hosting a web server and I am self taught but I have gotten it to work on my own computer and I am hosting a website without paying a dime to anyone (except my interenet provider). This is a test site b/c my bandwidth is low but I suggest you do the same until you get the hang of it. Hope this helps some. :)

Back