3.0 Framework

EStallworth

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am sitting here at work and just got the auto update for the new 3.0 framework. Just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with 2.0 applications on the new edition. I am still installing so I will report any issues I find, but please do so yourself.

Like Neal said, it'll run fine. .NET 3.0 is actually an add on for .NET 2.0, which mean, you must have .NET 2.0 to install .NET 3.0. However, you still can't use this technology by just install the framework. Unless you're using VS "Orcas", you have to install VS2005 Extensions which you can download them at MSDN.

What extras does .NET 3 have? What are the advantages over .Net 2?

Thanks.

In my honest opinion: nothing, it's just more stuff for the people who are making/maintaining much more complex applications than the more common programmer

Eventually everything in the 3.5 framework will be necessary but basically the 2.0 framework is the only one the average programmer will ever need

This is simply my opinion, I apologize if that offends anyone.

.NET 3 adds four new components: Windows Workflow Foundation, Windows Communication Foundation, Windows CardSpace, and Windows Presentation Foundation. Each of these components simplify (once the concepts are learned) basic programming tasks so I would think that any programmer would benefit from their use. Windows Presentation Foundation especially, since it eases and speeds the creation of fancy GUIs.
Here's an article: Introducing the .NET Framework 3.0

Back