• I removed the www from the URL, please update your bookmarks and pay attention to the bottom of the screen if using Google Chrome to allow push notifications again.

Zip/Unzip Files through VB.NET 2005

niit_bor

Programming Experience
1-3
Can Some one tell me how to Zip and Unzip Files through vb.net 8.0.

JohnH

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
You have to get hold of third party libraries that will do the job, for example sharpziplib
Unless you meant compression not related to the standard Zip file format, there is the System.IO.Compression namespace that enable you to compress/decompress stream of data for example to a file with the Gzip or Deflate method.

ImDaFrEaK

Programming Experience
5-10
I was able to find procedure using API calls for doing this before and if you dig long enough you'll find a way to do it yourself. I didn't make use of it after I found it so I don't have any information to give you other than I did find a solution. It was a tricky business though with some factors that I myself didn't understand. Also, here is what appears to be an article from the maker or zipsharp that explains how he accomplished zipping files with the .NET framework. He used the J# installed utilities in which he describes how to use yourself. That might help you get on the right path. In the end I would suggest just going with JohnH's idea and just using the free sharpziplib. All the code is already written and it's free.

Last edited:

ImDaFrEaK

Programming Experience
5-10
LOL, that's a link to my first thread on trying to learn this. Looks like you were the one to point me in the same direction that I pointed him into.

Top Bottom