Zedgraph problems

bretddog

Programming Experience
Beginner
I just downloaded a Zedgraph zample project, from this link, and currently developing a program from it. However, I got the following problem;

Even when I run the example project with no modifications, I get thrown a lot of debug messages, and when I put in some debug.write("xxx") in the code, it will not show in the output window. Note that I'm quite fresh in VB programming, so might be some simple stuff I don't have control of.

Btw, I have VS 2005, with NET 2.0 SP1.

The program runs fine though at least in debugging mode, but a bit of a drag that I can't use the debug.write commands..

Here are is copy of the output window when I run a debugging.

Hope you got some ideas.. ?
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_32\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities.Sync\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities.Sync.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'D:\VB\EXAMPLE PROJECTS\zedgraph_sample_projects_5.1.2\Visual Basic\ZGControlTest\bin\Release\ZGControlTest.vshost.exe', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_32\System.Data\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Data.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Deployment\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Deployment.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_32\System.Web\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Web.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Services\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Web.Services.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualBasic\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
The thread 0x10b0 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x310 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'D:\VB\EXAMPLE PROJECTS\zedgraph_sample_projects_5.1.2\Visual Basic\ZGControlTest\bin\Release\ZGControlTest.exe', Symbols loaded.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Runtime.Remoting\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Runtime.Remoting.dll', No symbols loaded.
'ZGControlTest.vshost.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'D:\VB\EXAMPLE PROJECTS\zedgraph_sample_projects_5.1.2\Visual Basic\ZGControlTest\bin\Release\ZedGraph.dll', No symbols loaded.
A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

All the "Loaded" messages simply means the listed libraries are loaded. "first chance exception" usually means an exception is caught and is either thrown to user/debugger or handled by the code (including handled internally in .Net libraries). These messages are normal and not an indication of a problem. Debug.Write goes to Immediate window, not Output window.

Debug.Write will by default only output with a Debug configuration, if you have set project to compile a release version you will see nothing.

Debug.Write will by default only output with a Debug configuration, if you have set project to compile a release version you will see nothing.

Awsome! That did the trick. :)

Btw, what is the difference of the debug and release setting?
Also the menu option "Configuration Manager" dissappeared when after I changed the setting to debug.. ?

How to: Set Debug and Release Configurations

article said:
The Debug configuration of your program is compiled with full symbolic debug information and no optimization.

The Release configuration of your program contains no symbolic debug information and is fully optimized
bretddog said:
menu option "Configuration Manager" dissappeared
I think you must have done something else, menus doesn't change according to build configuration. I know in Express this option only shows if you tick "show advanced build configurations" in Tools-Options (Projects & Solutions). You can also customize the menus clicking Tools-Customize...

Yes, it looks like it was some combination of that option and the build configuration setting.
Super. Now looking forward to dig into Zedgraph.
Thanks alot! :)

Back