XML, Unicode, and non-English fonts

GeneDoc

Programming Experience
3-5
(cross-post -- sorry) In short, I'm trying to use a VB .NET CF program to read/write an XML file with "encoding=unicode" to allow reading of non-English fonts on the Pocket PC without success.

I wrote a program that does fine reading English characters and I'm trying to ensure it works with non-English characters. I got True Type Unicode fonts and installed them onto both the desktop's and Pocket PC's \Windows\Fonts directories. I verified I could use the font on the desktop in Word, WordPad, etc. I changed the font of the control in Visual Studio to the new font. Unfortunately, all I get with program execution on the Pocket PC emulator are those darn boxes.

I think the major stumbling block is that I don't know how to make the XML file on the desktop computer in a format that is specific to the new font. Do I make the structure of the XML file using standard English and then change the font to insert the foreign font?

I think that since my XML segments work fine with English, I don't think they require changes to support a new font, right? I keep coming back to the fact that I have no positive control -- no method that I know should work, regardless of what my bungling does. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Back