XML to IP address

robo100

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi folks,
I have a very, very large program which I wont go to great detail on but one small part of the program is to have the ability to send out information in XML format to a larger software package. All the data I am refering to is held in a VB structure in my program. I used the system.xml call to take all the data in the structure and write it to an xml file, which was a lot easier than I thought. The result is an XML file on my hard drive that I can pull into a web browser and see all the data and it works great.

What I would like to do is be able to send this XML data to an IP address using a TCPIP stack. This may sound strange but I have a large customer that is interested in developing their own package that will do things with the data that my program sends out. I am not that concerned at the other end as that would be the customers development. Is there a way to do this? I mean VB has the ability to do XML along with webpage stuff but I have not seen anything regarding sending XML data to an IP address located on a network. This network could be internet webpage or a local network. Any ideas if this is possible. Is there another way another application could use the XML data I am generating without creating a file?

You may want to look into using Web Services. You could use a DataSet. You then load up the new info and merge it into your main dataset using the .Merge method.

Back