Writing Updated DataSet Out

RibTime

Programming Experience
10+
Still trying to complete my first VB/ADO.Net piece of code. The final piece of help I need is how to write out my DataSet which I have updated back to the original Excel spreadsheet or to a new spreadsheet?

Below is my code..

Many thanks RibTime
PHP:
Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim conn As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection 

Dim comm As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter

Dim strConn As String

strConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=v:\From Outlook.xls;"

strConn = strConn & "Extended Properties=""Excel 8.0;HDR=No;IMEX=1"""

conn = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(strConn)

comm = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("Select * From [Sheet1$]", conn)

Dim Excel As New DataSet("Data")

Dim strName As String

Dim strArray() As String

Dim intRead As Integer

Try

conn.Open()

comm.Fill(Excel)

Me.DataGrid.DataSource = Excel.DefaultViewManager

For intRead = 6 To (Excel.Tables(0).Rows.Count - 1)

strName = Excel.Tables(0).Rows(intRead).Item(5)

Excel.Tables(0).Rows(intRead).Item(10) = WordCount(strName)

Next

Catch ex As Exception

MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)

Finally

conn.Close()

conn.Dispose()

comm.Dispose()

End Try

Clean_Up:

conn = Nothing

comm = Nothing

End Sub

Private Function WordCount(ByVal input As String) As String

Dim separators As Char() = {" "c}

Dim words As String() = input.Split(separators)

Dim strEmail As String

Dim intCheck As Integer

'***********************************************************************************************

' First check to see if the name has a "()" in the string in which case we will ignore it

'***********************************************************************************************

intCheck = input.IndexOfAny("()", 1)

If intCheck > 0 Then

strEmail = "invalid"

Return strEmail

End If

' Take first and last name and build2 xx Email Address.

' Ignore any name that is longer than 3 wrods

Select Case (words.Length)

Case (1)

strEmail = "Invalid Address"

Case (2)

strEmail = words(1).ToLower & "_" & words(0).ToLower & "@xx.com"

Case (3)

strEmail = words(2).ToLower & "_" & words(0).ToLower & "@xx.com"

Case Else

strEmail = "No Email Found"

End Select

Return strEmail

End Function

End Class

I'm a little short on replies so I'll try to quantify my question.

With the above code I create an Email address which I then want to save to the same Excel Spreadsheet.

Ideally I don't want to update each row.

So is there a way to save the whole DataSet in one go?

Any example / pointer to a book / online reference would be great.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I downloaded the 101 examples a while back. Within the sample code there is 1 ADO 2.6 example and based around. Although I had looked at it several times before I reviewed it again.

This may be where my knowledge of SQL and ADO.Net let's me down, but he update example is using the "UPDATE" SQL parm and specifying the update parm's within the statement.

Whereas I have applied updates to my dataset which I now want to apply to the Excel spreadsheet.

Looking through the 101 examples I cannot find this code

You've used exactly the same method of retrieving data from an Excel spreadsheet as you would to retrieve data from an Access database. The only differences are the connection string and the table names in the SQL statement. Now you simply use the exact same method to commit data back to an Excel spreadsheet as you would to commit it back to an Access database, with the same differences as before. I think all, or at least most of, the 101 samples use SQL Server, but you can simply substitute classes from the OleDb namespace for the corresponding classes from the SqlClient namespace and everything works exactly the same way. That's one of the great things about ADO.NET: various objects are optimised for various data sources but they all work in almost exactly the same way.

Note also that ADO 2.6 is not ADO.NET. ADO is Microsoft's pre-.NET method of data access and should be avoided if at all possible. It really only exists in .NET for compatibility with existing applications.

Top man...

Many thanks again.

I've spent quite a lot of time looking into this but suspect I have some code downloaded / documentation giving me the answer.

Cheers

RibTime

Back