Working with overlapping letter patterns

Jbird10

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi all,

A real newbie here just working on what I thought was a real simple project but have gotten stuck. A little help, maybe point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

A user enters a syllable of 2-7 characters. Code tries to traslate the syllable into a pronunciation guide spelling to get the "sound" rather than the word's regular spelling. Some require the user to choose sense no guaranteed way to assume it's sound.

So...Code identifies single letters and assigns letter to checkboxes and then asks questions to user about options for a few letters' sounds like is this a hard c sound like a "k" sound or soft c like a "s" sound, etc...

Then I tried to identify a multiple letter combo like "cle" and ask for user to choose some options like "kel" or "kle" sound. Everything is fine to this point.

The problem is that when the possibility of more than one combo overlaps with each other. Ex: "cc" and "ck" but what if the user enters "cck". How would I identify it and seperate them out AND assigning "cc" and "ck" in sequential order to a sequential checkbox with the rest of the letters in order?

user enters "xxcckxx"
Shown to the user would be chb1 "x" chb2 "x" chb3 "cc" chb4 "ck" chb5 "x" chb6 "x"

With non-overlapping combos, I just assigned a symbol to the combo, then translated it back to the combo's text for the checkbox. Everything is fine until the possibility of overlapping combos and assigning a symbol to hold the place won't work if they overlap. I mean it does but the overlapping combos has reached more than a hundred combinations if I try to identify each overlapping possibility.

I don't know if this makes much sense. I can try to explain more. My brother, a programmer of 23 years experience, refuses to help. He thinks an amateur tinkering around learns better if you figure it out on your own. A little hard when I haven't taken any classes to know all the possibilities and books only cover so much. I'm hoping someone might want to be more helpful than family? Thanks for any direction provided.

Back