Question Working from Network Drives

adewar1979

Programming Experience
Beginner
Firstly, my apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

Due to a change in working arrangements, I now have to be able to share code, so that someone else can test/help with my current project. In order to do this I'd ideally want to put it on a shared network drive. In doing so, I get the trusted source error message, when I try to open the solution.

I understand that i have to run caspol.exe from the command line in order to make the drive trusted. Unfortunately, the IT people have disabled the command line interface. I'm using XP pro, VS2008 and am a power user on my machine. Would I need to run caspol.exe on both machines the code would be opened from?

I would appreciate any suggestions and advice on the matter.

Another option might be to implement source control, how would I go about this and would I need administrator rights on the network drive and what I'd need to have done for my collaborators machine to be able to access the code?

With Thanks in advance

Alastair

I would recommend installing a source code control program on a server, then you can just pull the most recent code from the source control (it's not a file share, it's a whole program/system) on any machine you need the code on. VS has either native ability or add-ons available to connect to VSS, TFS & SubVersion, so you can open the project/solution then simply click 'Get Latest...' and it'll pull the changed files since last Commit/Update.

The QA tester(s) can do the same too.

Would I have to install a separate program onto the shared network drive to allow the source control? I don't have administrator rights on the drive (and would be extremely unlikely to get them).

With Thanks

Alastair

No, you install it on the computer (like you would install Office or Visual Studio) then connect to it (once configured) using a VS plugin (VS supports VSS natively)

SubVersion (which is open source) is free and one of the leading source control programs, then the client computers use TortoiseSVN (again free) which supplies plug-ins (VisualSVN, not free, or AnkhSVN, which is free) to allow VS to interact with the subversion server.

Back