Winsock Problem

Blake81

Programming Experience
1-3
Just to clarify, I'm using VB 2005 Express Edition. I tried adding a Winsock control to the toolbar to use in a project. I followed instructions I'd seen several places online to add toolbox items. The one screenshot I saw showed that it would say something in the list like "Microsoft Winsock Control 6.0" I didn't have that in my list, so I browsed to the System32 folder. I had both a winsock.dll and wsock32.dll. I tried adding them both individually, but for both, I got the message (with the file name corresponding to what I was adding) "The type library C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsock32.tlb could not be loaded". Does anyone know why I'm not seeing a winsock control as something to add on that list, and why I'm getting these errors. I'd really like to try to work with Winsock. It doesn't seem to me that it would be something that wouldn't already be installed on the computer. Any suggestions? Thank you.

It should be possibible, but this old Winsock control is not needed anymore.
.Net Framework already has got these tools included, see the System.Net.Sockets namespace.

Thank you. I'm just learning this, but I've seen the Sockets namespace. I wasn't sure if that was the same thing though, since I was searching for VB 2005 and some of the pages talked about adding a winsock control to the toolbox. Thanks for your help.

Back