Windows form resizes on different computers

daveofgv

Programming Experience
1-3
I have a small program that works just fine on my desktop (23 inch monitor). I programmed it on this computer as well.....

My laptop (17 inch monitor) works fine also, however, on a 15 inch monitor the picturebox's are off and not where they were when I programmed it. Also, some forms you can not see the entire form and the bottom is cut off.

Is there a way (which I know there is somewhere) to make a vb.net program work on all monitor sizes?

Hope this is self explanatory.

Thanks in advanced

daveofgv

I just read something about the AutoSizeMode and AutoSize......

Would this be the correct property to change to make it work on any size monitor?

There are particular properties which main purpose is to help with the layout, using Properties window you can switch to Categorized view and find these in the Layout section. Those properties you mentioned belong here, so does for example Dock and Anchor properties that I'd say is the two most important properties for dynamic layout. In Containers section in Toolbox you'll find several controls that is helpful for arranging the layout of a form, don't forget these can also themselves be configured with layout properties. A tip: don't design forms too crowded with controls.

So in order for a windows form to make sure it's full view is adaptable to any screen resolution is that a certain property or how would someone get a form to open up the same in a 23 inch monitor versus a 15 inch monitor?

I recommend you try the layout options, when you resize your form to different sizes you will see how it will appear at different resolution monitors.

Among the layout options is also the ability to set minimum sizes, something you for the form should set to the minimum resolution you want/can support, for example 800*600 pixels.

For form there is also the layout option AutoScroll that is handy when it simply isn't possible to layout the controls in a smaller area. For users with lower resolution monitors, or at choice of displaying the form at a smaller size than maximized (full screen), the form area will then be scrollable to display what does not fit in the current form size. AutoScroll is often the opposite of dynamically sized controls, but it doesn't have to be, for example you may use the dynamic layout options to a certain extent (ie MinimumSize of controls/containers), and from then down to minimum supportable size of form the AutoScroll takes effect. AutoScroll is also a property of some container controls, so it is possible when display space is limited to have some areas scrollable while others sizable to limits you may set.

Back