Why is there a Post Reply button on the Edit Post screen?

cjard

Programming Experience
10+
You edit a post, make extensive changes, and then accidentally press Post Reply and get a "post reply" screen with all your changes irrecoverably lost. Does this strike anyone else as very bad HCI? :(

Actually, i just noticed, the Edit screen has another Edit button which also causes your changes to be lost. However, pressing this edit button takes you to a screen where there is no reply or edit button. Hence i suggest the interim screen be removed:

"View Thread Screen" ---(press Edit)---> "interim Bad HCI screen" --(press Edit)--> "Proper Edit Screen"

Clicking 'Edit' button just brings the 'quick editor' within regular post list, this is a feature similar to the 'quick reply' editor at the bottom of the screen. The buttons relevant to that quick editor window is contained within the visually limited quick edit window, though as you say the other buttons is not removed.

If you edit a post and click 'go advanced' the full editor will display without the regular posts lists buttons. This is similar behaviour to clicking 'post reply' for replies, it brings you directly to the advanced reply screen.

Do you have a comment on Edit Post's modus operandi, from an HCI point of view?

If the person who wrote the forum has the necessary skill to show a "Quick Edit" set of tools when I click the edit button, surely they also have the skills to hide (or at least show a MessageBox "Your changes will be lost if you click Post Reply" OK/Cancel) the dangerous buttons?

Actually.. i'd like to know if there is anywhere I can turn off all the quick facilities, as my personal preference - I want to go to a real screen for posting/editing etc

Back