Which Is The Best Control To Use

tcl4p

Programming Experience
1-3
I have a winform project which I'm converting from a web project. In the web project I display "Notes" data from a data table into a table in three distinct parts. First the header, where the text color is based on the priority of the note. The second part is a short description of the note content and the third part is the complete note. The question I have is what is the best control for this in winforms? I guess I could use a text box and use it like a web text area. The data will be read only and will need to scroll since the amount of real estate on the screen accounts for only about a third of a 1024 X 768 screen.
If anyone can give me some ideas as to how to best display the data it would be appreciated.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks for the reply. It's fairly straight forward, an example being as follows:
1. Header
2. Short Description
3. Full Note.

2/15/2010 10:00 Authority Chief Baber
Bad Weather Dispatch Changes Until Further Notice
On all calls to the interstate Engine 52 and Brush 55 will be dispatched. For multi-vehicle accidents Engine 58 will be added to the call. When injuries are involved remember to switch over to EMSCOM to communicate with rescue services.

Text will generally be displayed in either a Label or a TextBox. For short, read-only text you would normally use a Label. For read/write text you would normally use a TextBox, or a RichTextBox if you need formatting. If your text is read-only but longer then you might use a TextBox but set its ReadOnly property to True, so the user can't edit the text but they can still scroll and copy it.

Back