When battery is at 100, can you disconnect it?

NJDubois

Programming Experience
Beginner
Can't google it, get all sorts of weird answers and am curious.

Can I write an app that runs in the background, and when the battery is fully charged software disconnects it from the charger? Like there is no battery in the laptop?

Just want to know if it is possible?

Thanks
Nick

Firstly, how would disconnecting the battery from the mains be like there being no battery in the laptop? If it was like there being no battery in the laptop then the laptop would be off, because it gets its power from the battery at all times.

As for the question, the answer is no. I'm not even sure that there is a way to disable the power connection using software but, if there is, it would be very low-level and not something you would do with a high-level language like VB.NET. May I ask why you would want to in the first place?

I guess I should have included that the ac would still be attached?

A buddy asked if I could write the app. I kinda figured it was a very low level operation but figured you never know till you ask right?

Thanks for the fast reply!

Nick

Firstly, how would disconnecting the battery from the mains be like there being no battery in the laptop? If it was like there being no battery in the laptop then the laptop would be off, because it gets its power from the battery at all times.
With Dell and Lenovo laptops I disconnect the battery (with the power cord plugged in) and it stays powered on all the time, WinXp and Win7 gracefully switch to indicate the battery is removed. When reconnected it will indicate charging (or 100% charged) gracefully too.

Back