What do you do to Save your work?

Heavenly

Programming Experience
1-3
Do you copy the application with a different folders name? Do you save it to another media replacing the existing one or do you change the folder name of the original application?

Please let me know your suggestion, lately I had cases where VB has been very sensitive about changing the main folder’s name.

Usually what I do is after doing x amount of work I close the application open the visual studio folder, click on the application folder and from the “File and Folder Task” menu I select “Copy This Folder” to another media or another part of the same hard drive. As soon as it is copied I go to that location and add a versioning number to the copied folder.

Ej. If folder name was “StopWatch” I will change it to “StopWatch V11”.

The problem with this is that next time I open the application Visual Studio will try to access the copied folder instead of the Original One (which has not been move at all)

So, I need you guys to give me you own Methods and Functions on how do you SAVE your work?

The problem with this is that next time I open the application Visual Studio will try to access the copied folder instead of the Original One (which has not been move at all)
in the windows file system:
if you copy/move a folder that has a VS solution/project in it, the VS editor doesnt know where it is until you open it again
so when you change "StopWatch" to "StopWatch V11", VS wont display that solution in that list on the start page until you open the solution in the "StopWatch V11" folder

if you move a project's folder through the VS editor then it'll still know where it's been copied/moved to and that's why you should move it through windows, not VS

as i pointed out in your thread on vbforums.com i back up my programming projects by burning them to a cd once a month, and once a week i copy them to another computer on my network

Do you know by any change if there is a tool or an add it that will allow you to compare two projects and show you any changes that has been made to the code between one project folder and the other, just like the “Compare Documents” in Microsoft Word?

Microsoft Visual Source Safe is your best bet, but it costs money.

If you're looking for something free; look into WinCVS. I played with it for a day, so I can't say much about it. I do have some friends that swear by it though.

Back