What do I need to do to create a VS 2003 asp.net project on xp home?

fullyii

Programming Experience
1-3
I am trying to create an ASP.Net project on a machine on my local network. This machine is running XP home.

I want to be able to create projects on my XP home machine and connect to my win 2003 server to test etc.

As it stands now I can't even create an ASP.net project on my XP home machine.

Error Message:

Unable to create offline cache Location \\192.168.0.8\wonderlakesvr1\... the file path was not found

I run the same string on the aerver itself and the project is created and works fine.

i dont make asp projects, but i am aware that you need IIS installed and running to make asp pages

that's all i know...

Yes, you need to install IIS via Windows add/remove software --> Windows components, but I'm not sure if this is available in XP Home Edition. If it is you will also need to install the .NET Framework 1.1 or 2.0, depending on which version of ASP.NET you want to use. Finally you have to register the aspnet application with IIS which is accomplished at a command prompt: c:\windows\Microsoft.Net\framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -i
This might be different for asp.net 2.0, but not sure.

IIS is not supported on XP Home (but maybe possible). VS2003 don't have an integrated local webserver for debugging, but there exist one called Cassini for .Net 1.x, it works fine for development/debugging, you can't use it as a public webserver on the internet. Download here http://www.asp.net/Projects/Cassini/Download/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

Should mention that a later version of Cassini is integrated in VS2005 for same purpose, also in the MS Visual Web Developer 2005 Express.

Just install XP Pro if your programming. Especially web programming. It will save you tons. You will still have to install the IIS and FrontPage extensions to windows before VS likes it. Here's a cheaters tip, if you don't want to use an un-licensed cd key and don't want to pay so much to upgrade just install an un-licensed version. Then, if windows update says it's not legit, goto Microsoft.com with the link it provides to purchase a license. Tell them it's a rip from bittorrent.com or somthing and they will give you a Full Professional Installation disk for half price.

Back