What do I need to communicate with a VSS server?

jimd2012

Programming Experience
1-3
Nevermind. Figured it out myself. But if anyone knows a better way to do it than what I did, I'd be happy to hear it.

My situation is that my own machine is running Visual Studio 2010, but I need to access a VSS repository. VS2010 appears to have built-in functionality for accessing TFS repos, but not VSS repos.

So what I wound up doing was I ordered a copy of VSS 2005. I install it, and use the standalone explorer to connect to the repository and retrieve a solution (latest version, recursive). Then I installed a VS2010 compatibility hotfix (can't remember where I got it, not sure if necessary), and VS2010 had a new option. Under Tools->Options->Source Control, there is now a new plug-in, "Microsoft Visual Sourcesafe." After selecting that instead of "Visual Studio Team Foundation Server," I open the solution I just grabbed, and I'm prompted to login to Sourcesafe. I do, and then the source control features integrate into the solution explorer nicely.

Last edited:
The preferred option is that you leave your question in place and provide the solution you found, so as to potentially help others with similar issues who may find this thread via a search in the future.

Back