Question What database should I use?

Kasteel7

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have created a small application using Access in VB.NET (Visual Studio 2005)
which works great in Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 - 32-bit.

The program however does not work with Windows 7 - 64-bit due to the fact
that Microsoft does not support the Access database driver (connector) in
Windows 7 64-bit anymore. (Or something along that line)

I tried using SQLite but cannot get that working. Getting some Provider error
and it seems that alot of other people are getting the same error with SQLite on the net.

What other database can I use where I don't have to setup a SQL server that will work great with VS2005? (Just need a standalone db similiar to Access.)

Would appreciate some advice.

64 bit drivers

•Supported Operating Systems:Windows 7;Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-Bit x86);Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 editions;Windows Server 2008 R2;Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2;Windows Vista Service Pack 1;Windows XP Service Pack 3

Hi

Thanks for that :)

What do I need to change in my code for it to work on Windows 7 - 64-bit? (Like connection strings, etc.)

Thanks

In order to connect to an Access database on a 64-bit system you have two options:

1. Build your project to target the x86 platform, so that it runs in 32-bit mode on all systems.

2. Use the ACE OLE DB provider in your connection string and then install the 64-bit version of Access or the Access Connectivity Engine (ACE). Just note that 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office components cannot co-exist on the same system.

Thanks for the reply. Whe you say:

"1. Build your project to target the x86 platform, so that it runs in 32-bit mode on all systems."

What exactly do you mean?

Cause at the moment my software app works on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 (32-bit) but it does not work on Windows 7 64-bit. The error message I get on a Windows 7 64-bit machine has something to do with the Access database engine (JET) not being supported in Windows 7 64 bit.

The Jet OLE DB provider is a COM component. There is no 64-bit version of the Jet OLE DB provider. 32-bit apps can only access 32-bit libraries and 64-bit apps can only access 64-bit libraries. If your project targets Any CPU, which is the default, it will run in 32-bit mode on 32-bit systems and in 64-bit mode on 64-bit systems. If your project targets x86, it will run in 32-bit mode on all systems. As such, it will find a 32-bit Jet OLE DB provider on all systems and successfully connect to your Access database on all systems.

Back