Question What control should I use to do something like this ?

eduardbarna

Programming Experience
1-3
I'm new here, so first of all, I want to say "Hello !" :)

My problem is that I want to do something like this (attached picture). A list, but with columns and I want to implement a search on the list. I pretty much like the way it looks in the picture, but I don't know what control should I use to do that ... GridView looks rather ugly. I'm using Visual Studio 2010 Premium.

If you can help me, thank you !

Capture.PNG

Well, you've posted this in the Windows Forms forum so, if this is a Windows Forms app, a GridView is not an option. It's an ASP.NET server control for Web Forms. There is the DataGridView, so maybe that's what you mean. See how important it is to use the actual name of something and not an approximation? It's not hard to do and can avoid a lot of confusion.

Anyway, the DataGridView can be heavily customised so, if you have an issue with how it looks by default, you can certainly change it. There is also the ListView, which is probably what's used there. The ListView is a Win32 control so more than just .NET apps use it. The .NET ListView control is wrapper for that Win32 control. It does have certain advantages but also has some disadvantages when compared to the DataGridView. The ListView can be customised to a degree, but adding a background image like that would require unmanaged code, as would various other fancy things it can do.

Back