Question WEIRD problem with VS2008 compiler.....

Lawrence Mayo

Programming Experience
10+
This one is odd. And nobody seems to be experiencing it out in GoogleLand.

My VS2008 simply refuses to catch errors on compile any more. I'm not talking ASPX files -- I see some people have had that, and they simply added a command line for post compile actions.

No, I mean in the code behind. I can type random letters in unexpected places, and the compiler happily hums along, telling me Rebuild (or Build) Successful. Obviously, upon running the web app, it crashes when I reach that page. I have a Global error handler but because of some session id issues I cannot readily see what it errors on (the error handler errors). When I proceed to the unhandled exception page, I get a zillion warning messages but no error message from whence to deduce the issue.

Problem is, I shouldn't have to even do all that. The compiler should catch simple syntax problems in code behinds. It's not. Anyone see anything like this before? Any ideas?

Sounds like something is broken. I'd reinstall/repair.

No go Tokyo. Full removal, full reinstall, TWICE, full check of updates and installation thereof.

I got a handful of NUTTIN.

I can see the error pop up in error listing now, but it says 'successful' build and if debugging, launches. Should stop and tell me NO!

I *can* work like this. I'd really rather *NOT* work like this.

Back