WebBrowser Noise

macehowling

Programming Experience
1-3
Does anyone else get a noise from the WebBrowser whenever you load a page? Internet Explorer does this too and I want to turn it off. Does anyone know how to silence this?

Posted elsewhere:
You can turn off the sounds IE makes by going into the Control Panel / Sounds and clear the "Starts Navigation" item.
There should be a corresponding setting in registry for this.

Posted elsewhere:

There should be a corresponding setting in registry for this.

Hmm, I got rid of the "starts navigation" but I am getting the default beep sound now, when I hit enter from the URL textbox. The URL textbox has an event that catches the keystroke and clicks my go button. Is this indicative of an error? I don't see a pop-up error from the scripts. I am dynamically adding a webbrowser object into a tab in a tabcontrol when the "addtab" button is pressed. I suspect that doing this automatically suppresses the script errors. I can't even turn the script errors back on even if I explicitly set the suppression = false. Does anyone know if this is true? And why it might be giving me a default beep every time hit enter to navigate to a page?

If you temporarily select the 'No Sounds' scheme do you still hear sounds? If not I'd look through that list to see if there could be a match. Possibly the Windows default beep?

If you temporarily select the 'No Sounds' scheme do you still hear sounds? If not I'd look through that list to see if there could be a match. Possibly the Windows default beep?

Yes, the sounds goes away if I choose "No sounds" and yes it is the Windows default beep. Is there a way to get rid of the windows default beep in the webbrowser? I don't want to remove all sounds to fix this.

As I understand it there is no override of sounds for a WebBrowser control instance, these are system defined.

but I am getting the default beep sound now, when I hit enter from the URL textbox
Let's have this clear, you have a standard TextBox control in a form and when you type in it and press Enter key it beeps? You were talking about lots of other things and this was confusing. I have always used the 'No Sounds' scheme btw, so I wouldn't know without testing where Windows give default sounds.

Let's have this clear, you have a standard TextBox control in a form and when you type in it and press Enter key it beeps? You were talking about lots of other things and this was confusing. I have always used the 'No Sounds' scheme btw, so I wouldn't know without testing where Windows give default sounds.

I am using a combobox control in the form and when I press "Enter", I hear the Windows Default beep.

I set the Window Default sound scheme and added a ComboBox to a form. I can confirm there is a default window 'ding' sound when pressing Enter key. Nothing to worry about.

Another thing, you say IE doesn't make that sound, but IE isn't using a ComboBox, it is a standard TextBox combined with a button that display some kind of drop-down panel (probably a form of some kind).

I set the Window Default sound scheme and added a ComboBox to a form. I can confirm there is a default window 'ding' sound when pressing Enter key. Nothing to worry about.

Another thing, you say IE doesn't make that sound, but IE isn't using a ComboBox, it is a standard TextBox combined with a button that display some kind of drop-down panel (probably a form of some kind).

Great! I was about to go crazy.

So IE does it differently...hmm maybe I should try to implement it that way...but seems like a lot of trouble for something a combobox is made for.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Back