Beginner
Hello everybody!
I'm using VS2008 and I'm new with WCF. I have the following problem:

I have a function in the IService:
" <OperationContract()> _
Function SaveData(ByRef BaseDS As DataSet) As Boolean"

In my Client, i want to call the Function with a Typed Dataset,
for example:
"Dim changes = CType(Me.CustomersDataSet.GetChanges, DataSet)
If changes IsNot Nothing Then
Using proxy As New BaseDataServices.BaseDataServiceClient
proxy.SaveData(changes)
End Using
End If"

But i recieve the following Error:
"Was presented a fault at the effort of serielizing parameter http://tempuri.org/:BaseDS. Was the message of InnerException isn't expected type 'Entities.BaseDataSet' with name of convention of given 'BaseDataSet: http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/Entities'. Add any types that are not statically acquaintance in the list with the known types - as an example, using characteristic KnownTypeAttribute or adding are transmitted to them in the list with the known types that in the DataContractSerializer.'. See InnerException for more details."
Note:This message is translated from Greek.

I have no DataContract.

I tried the following :
" <OperationContract()> _
<ServiceKnownType(GetType(System.Data.Dataset))> _
<ServiceKnownType(GetType(Entities.CustomersDataset))> _
Function SaveData(ByRef BaseDS As DataSet) As Boolean"

I steel recieve the same Error.

What can i do to solve this?

Sorry for my English....
And thanks in andvanced!

Last edited:

petersgyoung

Programming Experience
5-10
I cannot help you to solve your problem. I can just tell you some obvious mistake that I found. Although Dataset (also DataTable) is serializable, it is not very useful for complicated scenario. You should not rely on automatic schema generation. The best practice is to create a DataType using DataContract. If you want to send a set of data, transfer them as a Generic List.

solomoum

Programming Experience
Beginner
I cannot help you to solve your problem. I can just tell you some obvious mistake that I found. Although Dataset (also DataTable) is serializable, it is not very useful for complicated scenario. You should not rely on automatic schema generation. The best practice is to create a DataType using DataContract. If you want to send a set of data, transfer them as a Generic List.

Thank you, but i allready solved this.
The problem was in my client IService implementation : The code were generated by the wizard not include the KnownTypeAttribute. So i added and all works perfect as far.

Thank you again.

mrpraveen

Programming Experience
1-3
help

Please let me know how to return dataset from an operation contract after filling it from database and how to consume it from client

Top Bottom