Question VS2008 Pro with MSDN

azfar

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am new to VS2008 and have few questions.
With VS98 (VB6) I have to install the MSDN library seperately.

Now I have downloaded the VS2008 Professional for X86 & X64 systems. Its around 3.3GB, Does the above package also contain the MSDN library or I have to download and install it seperately.

Second if it inlcudes the MSDN then after installing the VS2008 SP1 does it also upgraded the MSDN library, if yes then what is this update.
Download details: MSDN Library for Visual Studio 2008 SP1

And finaly what is the difference between MSDN Profesional and Premium subscribtions.

Last edited:
Now I have downloaded the VS2008 Professional for X86 & X64 systems. Its around 3.3GB, Does the above package also contain the MSDN library or I have to download and install it seperately.
VS Pro should contain full MSDN, it should be a separate option in installer. According to product comparison only Standand and Express does not contain MSDN: Visual Studio 2008 Product Comparison
I don't know which version it installs, you should be able to see it in installer, and also in system Add/remove programs dialog the MSDN will list separately afterwards.
after installing the VS2008 SP1 does it also upgraded the MSDN library, if yes then what is this update. (MSDN SP1 link)
If SP1 is newer it updates previous information to the latest, I'm not aware of a list of changes between the different releases of the library. (edit: perhaps I misunderstood whether you asked about application SP1 or library SP1...)
what is the difference between MSDN Profesional and Premium subscribtions.
compare these charts: Compare MSDN Subscriptions: Premium, Professional, Visual Studio Team Editions, and Operating System subscription levels | MSDN Subscriptions

Upgrade

Yes, the SP1 update to Visual Studio will also update the MSDN library at the same time. The seperate package, I would assume only updates MSDN to SP1, but I can't really come up with a good scenario where it might be needed.

Last edited:
The seperate package, I would assume only updates MSDN to SP1, but I can't really come up with a good scenario where it might be needed.
The separate MSDN SP1 download contains the full package in latest version, is it needed for people updating the library or people that need to install standalone like Express/Standard users and others that want it.

Back