Vs.net 2005

kulrom

Programming Experience
10+
Hi Ladies and gentlemen,
I want to only say that VS.NET 2005 (pro) rocks friends :eek:
i am really surprised cuz i was observing entire process of beta(s) development and to be honest i was very sceptic about it. I thought it will be only one more trick from the bill gates's kitchen (tricks handbook). But it seems that i was wrong all the time. Now after couple weeks researching and playing around with it i discovered many secrets of the world i never though existed :D JK
Seriously, it brought many new features and controls. Especially i like the components that we had to hardcode or buy untill this edition (it seems like not good news for the third party developer community). Also, intellisense is much improved ... with other words i love it ;) and after one month i am already addicted to it. I will go to change my profile (primary development platform=VS.NET 2005) right now :)

Thanks for reading this ;)

Last edited:
I agree Kulrom, it is a fantastic IDE and I too am addicted. I despise going back to VB6 and VS 2003 is feeling similar as VS 2005 is just that much better! Combine that with SQL Server 2005 and you'll really be hooked!

I'm glad someone else is as excited about VS2005 as I am.... I use it exclusively for all my projects at home & consulting. It really caps my hide that I have to go back to VB6 for work (soon to change- whoo-hoo!)

It does take some getting use to, but personaly I think it's one of the best versions of VS ever....
-tg

I'm excited to develop Compact Framework Apps now, they really overhauled this area, soooo much better! Get the Windows Mobile 5 and Smartphone SDK's and install as it's not included with VS 2005.

VS 2005 More Info Please

HI kulrom. You have changed my mind about VS 2005. I got the Express download but was not impressed. But with someone of your experience saying OK, I reckon I shall get it. Please excuse me if I sound a bit ignorant - I am! Because I am a member of college I was allowed to download (this is where I get a bit lost!) Beta ? IT wouldn't do so. I was lent 3 disks of the same and I couldn't load them. Would this be because I have the Express version on? If this is so, what should I take off? I am very wary of doing things without a knowledgeable person as yourself giving guidance. Thanks in advance.

It's probably because the Betas are no longer any good. I think they were set to self expire after a certain date. Especialy since VS2005 has been released. Unfortunately this means that Express is the only free VS there is. Anything else is going to cost a few bucks.

-tg

I'm also excited about VS 2005 and have been for some time. I've only just started using it in anger as I've completed the projects I was working on in VS.NET 2003. I'm only using the Express editions at the moment but will shell out for the Pro version in a few months. Express does everything I need for the moment.

My main disappointment is in the new data access features. I tried creating a Data Source from an SQL Express database and it was flaky as h*ll. I want to at least see what the built-in functionality could do as I am not one of those people who insists on coding all my data access by hand. The new features are great, in principle, but I've found them unusable so far. I think we'd all agree that Microsoft rushed VS 2005 out in the end. I've heard reports that they began work on a service pack almost immediately. I think when that gets released we'll have what should have been the actual 1.0 version. I'll give the data access features another go then. For now I'll stick to DataAdapters and leave the TableAdapters.

Other than that, SWEEEEEET! VS.NET 2003 already feels like Windows 95. I can't imagine what VB6 must feel like.

Note also that one of my favourite third-party libraries, XP Common Controls, is in beta for .NET 2.0. I've used a couple of the controls already. There are bugs but they are only visual at this stage. They won't stop you using the controls and when it goes gold you can just slot the new version straight in. One word of caution though. Installing the beta will remove older versions. TechGnome, did I see your name on the SteepValley forum?

There is a great program, I think I've mentioned somewhere on this site in the past called the Microsoft ISV Empower Program. For $375 (last I recall) you get MSDN Universal and a bunch of nice benefits. They are helping the small biz's, etc. I don't know what VS 2005 Pro costs, but I bet this program is far cheaper and you get MSDN!!!!

https://partner.microsoft.com/40010429

jmcilhinney said:
Note also that one of my favourite third-party libraries, XP Common Controls, is in beta for .NET 2.0. I've used a couple of the controls already. There are bugs but they are only visual at this stage. They won't stop you using the controls and when it goes gold you can just slot the new version straight in. One word of caution though. Installing the beta will remove older versions. TechGnome, did I see your name on the SteepValley forum?
ROFL - yeah, that was me... Ticked me off when that happened... but I did manage to find a way around it and it was noted as something he'll fix the next time around. Good thing I'm a pack rat of sorts and I still had the original in my d/l folder.

As for the data access problems you're having the the Express edition... I think (*think*) that's because it's one of the bells left off of that edition. It's much mproved in the Enterprise editions (and probably the pro version).

The SP that's much talked about is mainly for the compiler itself. Aparently that's where most people have had problems - the compiler crashing. I've not experienced this myself, so I can't say for sure.

But I'm enjoying it.... I'm not always keen on the start page taking it's time to load, but I've gotten some valuable stuff off the links on there.

-tg

Call me an old synic but i havent even finished learning 2003 yet, and won't for quite some time. While i'm sure that the latest version is packed full of new features the only real question that prays on my mind is...

Have there been any signifcant improvements to the JIT compiler or the CLR in terms of improving performance. I haven't looked into it so i'm just asking, i mean, as programmers, when we get down to the nitty gritty, it's always about performance. Writing more efficient code, find new an inovative ways to optimize our applications. So before i open my wallet, and the moths escape!!, i pose my question again...

Do apps written in VB.Net 2005 hold a significant performance advantage over apps written in VB.Net 2003? In terms of the JIT Compiler?, or the efficiency of the MSIL produced?

If so then i probably would buy it

Do you think that it was slow and that it has to be speeded up ???
However, this below covers the major improvments that come with the the new VS.NET 2005:

bullet.gif
IDE Enhancements
where new productivity features such as Snaplines, the Class Designer, SmartTags, Edit and Continue and various other new and improved IDE enhancements.
bullet.gif
Language Enhancements where C#, VB, C++, and J# all receive individual focus in key areas of the tour where you can learn about new feature improvements such as Generics, Iterators, My, and various other language improvements.
bullet.gif
Smart Client Development technologies including Windows Form development, .NET Compact Framework development, and Visual Studio Tools for Office development.

I mostly appreciate the 'reduced development complexity' and that's what we talking about (at least myself). Btw, i've not heard about any performance advantage but, personaly i don't think so that vs.net 2003's compiler was suffering of performance dissadvantage(s) too.

Regards ;)

No, i don't think that 2003's compiler is slow. But i do have to justify spending the money and how that money is going to help my business. Maybe 2005 is more RAD based, but lets face it what sells is speed, this is why, for example, C++ programmers get paid more. I was just asking i'm not trying to put 2005 down as i'm sure i will move to it at some point. But if 2005 had improvements such as a faster compiler then it would make me think about doing it sooner, thats all.

I agree that you suppose to justify spending the money indeed but i would never spend any penny just because of say 10% improved speed (speed was never problem of VS.NET as well of VBx).

Ah about C++ programmers. Well, personaly, i've studied C++ and i have worked on projects as a developer and as a consultant and i claim that C++ programmers get paid more not because they are so powerful but rather it is cuz of the C++ learning curve . If you have ever tried to get your head around C++ then you'll know what I mean.
So, C++ programmers are paid more not that client or employer wants to pay more but cuz C++ programmers charge higher prices. Well, althrough i am also C++ programmer I hate that mith that C++ programming is in a different league. That is simply not true.

Moreover, after all these years spent on the programming i fugured out that the most important thing is to be engaged either to be well employed (with hign salary) or have projects permanently and increase your effectiveness no matter which language you work with if you are freelancer or business owner. Means RAD based IDE is simply prefered.
Even if it was only because of the speed i suspect that python programmers would be ones the most paid :D

Back