Visual Studio Express

JaedenRuiner

Programming Experience
10+
At home I'm rather used to VS 2005, but here at work I'm currently relegated to using Express. In the Compile options for Express (VB if that is relevant) there is an Output path which is currently set to bin\release. Is there any difference with Express between a Debug and Release Build?

I'm just curious because I made my own Class Library with a few controls in it. During the process of my debugging I found it pertinent to modify those controls and recompile the Assembly DLL. I'd re-import it as a reference into my application, and it was copied to the bin\debug folder, but not to the bin\release folder. This dll will most likely need to be packaged with my final product, and well, like I said I'm used to the VS2005 with multiple compile configurations for Debug/Release (as well I more often use VC/++ in VS2005 not the .Net environment)

Thanks

There is no difference between VS and VS Express regarding debug and release builds that I know of, why should there be?? Default output path is Release folder for a Release build and Debug folder for Debug build.

Ah, no, i'm saying that in VS 2005 there is a "Active Profile" that is Debug or Release. For VC (and VC++) this means the difference between creating the debug info for the Exe/Dll (like the .ilk, and .bsc files for C dlls and such).

In Express there is no ComboBox or setting that says "Compile a Debug version" or "Compile the Release" version. Are they both compiled automatically at the same time, or is there a setting in there somewhere to tell it that I want a 'Release' Build or a "Debug Build"

Thanks

In project properties Compile and Debug tabs you can see the different profiles including the default Debug/Release, and see which is currently active. To change active profile you first have to enable advanced build configuration in options (Projects, General), then use Configuration Manager in Build menu to manage the configurations.

Awesome..

YOu are a life saver. That was getting frustrating not being able to debug Assembly DLLs and such, but with the advanced options enabled I can control everything just like 2005 pro. Thanks a bunch!

Hello JohnH

It means if you need Debug build, then you have to change Configuration Settings from Release to Debug and vice versa.

BTW: I usually use the Debug dll (as project reference) in my wrapper projects. Then If the above statement is right, then everytime I have to do the above step.

Please advice.

Regards

Back