Visual Studio 2015 released + VB 14 + .Net 4.6

JohnH

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
Hi JohnH,

Cheers for the update on VS2015. I think I will have a play with the Community Version over the coming week so but do you know if VS2015 will happily sit alongside the earlier installed versions of VS? I am assuming that this will be the case based on previous releases but it would be nice to get some confirmation first.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi JohnH,

Cheers for the update on VS2015. I think I will have a play with the Community Version over the coming week so but do you know if VS2015 will happily sit alongside the earlier installed versions of VS? I am assuming that this will be the case based on previous releases but it would be nice to get some confirmation first.

Cheers,

Ian
Visual Studio 2015 Compatibility:
You can install and use Visual Studio 2015 alongside Visual Studio 2013 and Visual Studio 2012. It can also be installed on top of Visual Studio 2015 RC without having to uninstall RC.
I uninstalled VS 2013 before installing VS 2015, because I didn't want both installed. Some cautions to be aware of if you uninstall a side-by-side version later: Installing Visual Studio Versions Side-by-Side, such as this:
If you uninstall a version of Visual Studio on a computer that has more than one version installed, the file associations for Visual Studio are removed for all versions. You can remap these file associations by using the Restore File Associations button on the Environment, General page of the Options dialog box.

Just a quick update with my experience so far,

I have just installed Visual Studio Community 2015 selecting the Install Typical Features Option. I then loaded and compiled one of my projects that I am currently working on which uses ClickOnce as its deployment package and got the error:-

An error occurred while signing: SignTool.exe not found.

After a quick scan on the net regarding this issue I came across this which led me to believe that something had not been installed correctly:-

An error occurred while signing: SignTool.exe not found - Microsoft Visual Studio/.Net Framework Setup & Deployment Tips & Tricks - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

I then went back to the VS 2015 Installation Package and found that the ClickOnce Publishing Tools where NOT installed as part of the Typical Installation Options. After I installed these tools my error disappeared and all was good again.

So when using ClickOnce to Publish your Applications you need to make sure that when installing Visual Studio 2015 you chose the Custom Installation Option and choose to install the ClickOnce Publishing Tools.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ian

I then went back to the VS 2015 Installation Package and found that the ClickOnce Publishing Tools where NOT installed as part of the Typical Installation Options.
I went the Custom route and noticed this too, and did include ClickOnce. I guess the focus now is Windows apps and Universal Windows Platform.

Found this useful summary of deployment options: Deploying Applications, Services, and Components
And related information about UWP bridges for other technologies: Universal Windows Platform Bridges - Windows app development

Back