Visual Studio 2005 version to buy

Gerge

Programming Experience
10+
I wrote a VB6 app from late 1998 thru 2003, and kind of hung it up because my computer died and I did not have the VB6 CD's or Crystal Reports 6 (had loaned them to ??)
I'm ithcing to get back into it and can buy either Visual Studio 2005 Standard or Pro at a good price (and don't want to spend big bucks for 2008).
It seems that Pro is for team development, and since I'm a loner, I'm guessing the Standard would be OK, or is Pro worh the extra $$?
I've noticed a few 'everything you need for VS 2005' books and would like a recommendation for a good one.
Most have some add ons, an easy to use report generator would be great since I don't have Crystal anymore, and will probably have to remove the Crystal reports and replace it.
As far as coding, am hoping VB6 will 'port over' for use on just a PC comfortably?
I don't know if I will want to .Net .Yet!! But what are the pratfalls in VB6 to .Net?
Whew - thanks to all that take the time to read all this and provide answers!

thanks all in advance
Gerge (an old timie Legacy programmer)

why don't you try out the vb express edition first? and see how it fits your needs.

as far as porting, i have seen many programs having difficulty moving from 2003 to 2005 let alone vb6. With that said, it also depends on how your program was written.

Hi, as the previous post said try the express editions first from the microsoft website, thats what I did.

One thing to note is Visual Studio 2005 standard doesn't come with crystal reports this is in the professional addition so if you want crystal reports you will have to get it as an addon. I dont use crystal so I don't know where you can get it from.

Thanks,
Downloaded VB Express (haven't looked @ it yet)
Will checkitout and hope I can update my VB6 stuff.

Gerge

Back