VBExpress Publish does what??

JaedenRuiner

Programming Experience
10+
Well,

I set up the publish thing, and executed it, and I get this directory full of .deploy files. with a root setup.exe.

So I think that is it and package for deployment off the network server.
I then, to test this, run the install (zip-exe with auto run of setup.exe) and it installs my app and runs it right away. But the app does exist anywere.

There is no C:\Program Files\AppName folder, there is no executable location...is this publish thing even an installation or is it some other vbexpress limitation that does something else?

Thanks

But the app does exist anywere.
It is installed to a path in a location called "ClickOnce application cache", check these:
VB.NET:
My.Application.Info.DirectoryPath
Application.StartupPath
Application class also has other dynamic path strings available for reference, and Environment class can be used with GetFolderPath method to get similar dynamic system paths.
there is no executable location...
Did you say the shortcut has no location? It is not a shortcut, it is a application reference file, it is a plain text file that can be opened in Notepad where you also can see the path.
is it some other vbexpress limitation that does something else?
ClickOnce deployment is available in all versions of VS, it has simplified options, but takes care of many common deployment scenarios with the 'click of a button', when the conditions apply. Express and Standard edition does not have msi setup projects, which is needed for custom deployment configurations.

ClickOnce Deployment Overview

I see,

so in order to do a standard install I'll need to get a version that supports MSI installations, or utilize a 3rd party like installshield. makes sense.

Thankfully the only real issue for the installs is the office pia's which I can do manually since this is an in-house application.
Thanks

Back