vb.net standard or Studio .net professional

mesathinks2002

Programming Experience
10+
I started out with vb4 then upgraded to studio 97. When studio 6 came out I opted to just upgrade to vb6 professional because I din't use anything but VB. Now I'm torn between vb.net standard or .net studio. I have a product ready for market with vb6 and plan to write version 2 in .net to overcome a few persistant problems such as timing functions etc..

Can anyone tell me exactly what's left out of the standard edition?

The various websites I've been to as well as MS seem to contridict themselves. As far as I can tell only class libraries is for sure not in the standard edition. What about the vb6 upgrade wizard, package deployment and asp support?

VS Pro versus VB.NET Std

VB.net is missing some functionality between the Pro and Std versions. Such as in VB.net Std you can only create data connections/adaptors for MS-SQL/MSACCESS/TEXT(i think) databases. There is a bit more but whit what i was doing this created a large problem.

I got the proversion for myself, the company i work for only uses STD. I tend to use VB as an interface, but C# for some of the more complex functions, merely because its less typing (that and i have this bad habbit of running VB in Strict/Explicit mode all the time.).

The other thing is Pro will allow you to use other languages code as external dlls without buying that language. STD will only allw you to use precompiled ones.

.NET is a big jump from 6... Especually in the J++/J# arena and the VB6/VB.NET arena.

The one thing to keep in mind is VB code and C# code are easy to translate to and from each other so if you think youll only be using C# code every so often, or your not gonna use anything else for database connections (or youll program those by hand) go for STD. Its alot cheaper.

Back