VB.net and Smart Device

RedArmour

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi

I have made a windows application in vb.net.I want to port the same app. on a smart device(pda etc..).NET provides the option of starting a new smart device project...is it possible for me to convert my existing project into a smart device application ... if yes then what limitations does it pose on my existing application. thanx

Well it depends what's in your app. since it the compact framework somethings are not included. For a lot of you code you will be able to just copy paste. Of course other than code limitations you also have the space limit to think about.

TPM

I share quite a bit between full and compact framework (of course, this does mean some cutbacks in the full framework, or some #IF's).

Basically we have

root
myproject1
myproject1.vbproj <= full framework project
myproject1.vbdproj <= compact framework project
Class1.vb
Class2.vb

with the classes being included in both projects.
As for "importing" i dont think so.. but you can create a blank Smart Device App, then "Show All Files" and include existing classes etc.. in that project so that you dont have code duplication.

Be careful to ensure that (if you have both projects open at once) you dont get issues with the obj/runtimes. But apart from that its pretty straight forward.

Cheers

Greg

Back