VB.NET 2005 & CR w/ Parameters

TechGnome

Programming Experience
10+
I've searched here and MSDN, and CR website, and all over.... and I can't seem to find a solution to my problem, and it's getting to the do or die point in the project.

Here's the deal, I'm doing this on a shoestring budget.... in fact it's only one shoestring, not enough capital to get the other shoestring. I need to have the ability to supply reports to a client, so I figured I'd use the CR that came with VS2005. It's not bad, but it will suffice for my needs. The problem though are the parameters. I can't seem to get it to work. I did find a few tutorials on how to set them, and when it comes to setting them I don't have a problem.... Until I deploy to the client.... My client is reporting that the app errors out with a "Expected parameter @XYZ was not supplied" Huh? I've had him run the SP through Query Analyzer.... and it works... he gets the data.... but for some reason, it just won't work for the client, but it does for me, so I'm having some issues in troubleshooting this.

Ideas, suggestions hints? It appears to connect OK to the database... but there's no telling what the parameters are doing..... It just occurred to me that we haven't tried a parameter-less report... jsut something to select data and spit it out... will have to try that tonight.

If necessary, I can post the code that shows how I'm connecting to the database, and passing the parameters.

-- Oh, I should mention I'm not opposed to brute forcing things and rolling my own code to talk to the printer object and write things out that way.... it jsut seems that a report would be sooo much easier to change

-tg

would you be able to post the code, both connection to the db as well as the select query for the report, and anything else that might be relevant. as much as possible would be nice. i have run into this sort of problem a LONG time ago when i had to use CR. once i knew my way around i was really happy with it and the flexibility it provided... haha, damn those parameters though, i had quite a few headaches with it. but i did solve it in the end. if you post your code, it should jog my memory (as i dont have that project here).

cheers mate
adam

no prob.... I'll get that loaded up as soon as I get the chance.

-tg

Aw heck.... it turns out that I only needed to look through my Snippets in visual studio.... they've got the code right friggin there... one to change the database and server, one to login, and one to set parameters.... I feel like a shmuck.

-tg

hahah, when i read your post i cracked up laughing! :D

dont worry about it, we all do (haha, ive done stuff like that countless times! :eek: )

glad you fixed it!

have a good one
adam

Haven't fixed it yet... it's just that the code in the snippet looks way different than anythign I've already tried.... I still have to get it to work at the client's location..... *fingers crossed*

-tg

ah ok then. well, yet another bump in the bloody road for ya! i wish you luck. if it keeps breaking post the code here and we'll try and help fix it..

have a good one

adam

Back