VB Express Report idea

Anti-Rich

Programming Experience
1-3
hi all

i am aware that vb express does not include a reporting tool, but it does include "Web Developer Reports" which im assuming means basic reports can be created/viewed in vb... is it possible to create a small web project in a solution, containing the reports, and firing off the reports from an application (basically, showing the reports in IE, and being able to print them off)?
any input/feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i am developing an application for my employer

regards

adam

Yes and no. Sql Reporting services can be downloaded and used with Sql 2005 express. However it is not included as part of the sql express download and will need to be optained seperatly via microsoft. The sql reporting server is actually a pretty good reporting tool. If I had a choice I would go with Crystal reports just because you have much more flexibility, but the SRS is by no means junk. It is a little tempermental, and is a hassle to get it working properly. The main issue I had was I installed the copy on a domain controller (Do not do this). The sql reporting services wants to run under the ASPNET user account, and if you install this on the domain controller you need to tweak the system to function properly.

The way SRS runs is you have your report server database that runs side by side with your other db's on sql server express 2005. All reports are viewed via access to this sql server. In order for the reports to be accessable, you need to deploy/publish the report to the server (this is were you use your report designer tool). Once the reports are published, the report can be viewed via any webbrowser via entering in the website address
default: http://localhost/reports

If you are building into a application there is a Report Viewer control that can be added to the application to view, so you are not limited to just using your web browser.

I definantly reccommend playing around with it, like I said, Crystal is far more flexible, but Report Server is still very good, and if you are looking for one central location that people can access the reports, then it is probably the way to go.

thankyou for your response, it was greatly appreciated. i have one small problem though, the database is likely to be installed on my company's SQL 2000 Server... does SRS work with SQL 2000? hopefully i will be getting a desktop computer for my development work (at the moment i have a thin client :( ), so i think i will gun for SQL Server Express 2005 on the desktop and have them deploy the express server separate to the main server.

if SRS does not work with SQL 2000 (and i have the sinking feeling it wont) can you suggest anything else that would help me create and run reports using vb express? a separate 3rd party app for instance? i hate the bloody limits of corporate IT :mad:

cheers mate

regards
adam

Back