Question Using Large Database In WinForms

MrReclusive

Programming Experience
Beginner
Sorry If I am posting this in wrong place, Wasn't sure if it belong in here or databases.

I am currently helping to write a Visual Basics program that was originally writing with access.
The Original Access program has been used and modified over the past 5 years, During that time the database has gotten pretty big.

The problem I am having is If I add the entire database to my data sources it creates data tables for every Table and Stored procedure even when they are not currently used in the program resulting in a 20+ minute build time just to debug.

I am currently only adding Tables and Stored Procedures as i need them, so its not that much of a problem now, but as I continue to work and add tables the build time is going to go back up, and Id hate to have to wait 20+ minutes to test a small tweak I made.

Any suggestions are appreciated, This is currently in the beginning stages of development so If I need to start over and go at this from a different angle its not a big deal.

I am currently Adding the tables with the wizard.

Thanks
Mike C.
Radiant Technology

Perhaps you could create your Data Source and all the associated data access code in its own project. Your main app can then reference that project and making changes to the main app won't require the DAL to be rebuilt. It's good practice to implement such separation anyway, so you're doing yourself a favour.

Thank you, This works wonders, build time is about 10 seconds now with the entire database.
Is there a way to compile that into a DLL file rather then EXE file, don't want them finding that and trying to run it.
up until about 2 months ago my only experience with vb was vb6, and that was just a couple years in high school(at a crappy high school).

You would HAVE to compile it as a DLL in order to reference it. You should have created a Class Library project in the first place, which compiles to a DLL. Otherwise you can change the build output type in the project properties.

Back