Question Using DirectoryInfo() object with unexpected results from Windows NTFS

markf

Programming Experience
5-10
I am new to this forum so apologies if I have placed this in the wrong topic. I have a VB.Net application on FW2.5 that runs for many days at a time. It polls a particular server and folder to see if there are files to process. I have had random problems that I finally traced today to a loop that checks the folder contents. It seems that when I retrieve the list of files for that folder, sometimes a filename is returned that actually does not exist in the folder. It was once there but no longer is.

The program has a MainControl sub that loops through the file list returned by this code:

Dim FolderObj As DirectoryInfo = New DirectoryInfo("C:\MyFolderName")
Dim FolderContents As FileSystemInfo() = FolderObj.GetFiles()
Dim FileEntry as FileInfo

For Each FileEntry in FolderContents
If Not File.Exists(FileEntry.Name) Then Exit For
Next

The problem is that when a file is removed from the folder, the FolderContents array still has an entry for that file, even though I am creating a new DirectoryInfo() object each time before I enter the loop. The problem is reproducible, but takes some time. What I mean is that if I start the program and immediately remove a file from the folder, the program will receive an updated folder contents list from Windows. However, a day or two later and the program is given a folder content list with the missing file, and so it just exits the loop (Exit For) without doing anything.

Is there some sort of caching of folder contents that I have to account for? I could just restart the program every day, but I really want it to work as expected. Thanks for any advice.

I assume the rest of your loop processes the file that is there, so rather than Exit For when a file in your array doesn't exist, just skip that file and move onto the next element in the array.

Obviously you may have a requirement that dictates doing things the way you are, and of course you're not resolving the root of the problem, however sometimes the more simple solution wins the day.

Back