User rights with Win7 Home Premium

adebar

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello,

i have created 32Bit and 64bit setup projects for my vbnet application.

After installation, the 32bit program works properly on a 32bit XP but with the 64bit program i have a problem under Windows 7 HP.

It is compiled as 64Bit and properly installed in a subfolder under "C:\Program Files" and not in "C:\Program Files (x86)". In my program i generate an inifile which should be saved in the program folder but i figured out that the user does not have write permissions for this folder.

If i navigate to the program folder and grant the access rights for the current user to "full access", everything is working properly.

Currently i am developing on a Win32 XP-Pro notebook, the new one (64bit, Win7) will arrive middle of next week. I am using VS2008 Pro.

Any suggestions

adebar

Hello,

i fixed it with storing the settings in the My Documents folder instead of program folder.

This works with 32 and 64 Bit.

adebar

These dynamic properties shows where application data can be stored:
  • Application.UserAppDataPath
  • Application.CommonAppDataPath
Also available with My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories and Environment.GetFolderPath Method (System)

Thank you for that tip !

I did it with My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories. Did not notice that there are alternatives.

Greetings
angryjack

I store setting's files in the AppData folder so the user doesn't see it and my program has full read/write access to it.

Back