Upgrading from vs2003 to vs2005

Gambit_NI

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi,

i have been given the task by my company to look at whether we should upgrade to vs2005 once the final release is out.

i have to look at it from both a technical point of view and a business point of view and then present my findings to the board of directors, as to whether i think we should upgrade or not

so basically, im looking as many peoples thoughts/links to articles on this subject that will help me decide on whether i push for our company to move vs2005

bit of background on us - we are a small company with only 4 developers that writes mainly windows & intranet app's along with PocketPC apps. using VB.Net, ASP.Net. the systems have a user base of approx 100 people max.

my major worry is the backward compatibility of running/converting 2003 projects into 2005 IDE, and what headaches this will cause

any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Craig

going from vs2003 to vs2005 (or vs2002 to vs2005) is like going from vb5 to vb6 or vb4 to vb6 as the language objects and syntax is the same (there are more objects in vs2005) so the actual code wouldnt need to be changed the only real things that would be changed is the form layout format i hear that vs2005 has the windows form generated code in a seperate module to help prevent accidental deleting of the form itself or something like that

anywho there shouldnt be any significant changes to your actual programs after converting it to vs2005

yeah i agree there is not much changes in regard with languages are concern, but one thing you should look at how MS is viewing the VS 2005. it is based on the team concept how to integrate testers , developers and analyst into same IDE and one thing more they have added few more things for modeling and now u dont need any perfessional UML desinger like Rose or even visio etc(unless u like to dig into deeper detail).

Back