Question Updating Memo Fields

MajP

Programming Experience
3-5
I have an Access database with a memo field. I am using a strongtype dataset and the associated generated tableadapters. I allow the wizard to create the insert, delete, and update commands. I look at the update command and the command parameters and everything looks correct AFAIK. When I try to do an update I get a "datatype mismatch" error. So after some trial and error I removed the memo field from the update command and it works fine. I am not actually doing any updating in the memo field, but I know the update command will update every field regardless. Is there some trick here?

The update command will only update every column if the SQL it contains specifies that. If you're not updating that column then you can simply edit the SQL to not include that column and also remove the corresponding parameter and you're good to go.

I guess I did not say that correctly. What I meant to say is although you may only update one field, each field that is contained in the update command gets updated and each field gets compared in the concurrency checks. It is not as if only the changed field gets updated and compared. The unchanged fields basically get updated with the same existing data. So my point was that I had not modified the data in the memo field so that was not the issue. I would like to be able to update that field, but at this point it is failing even though I have not modified it. I know the issue is with the memo field because if I pull it out of the update command it will work.

Back