Question Update requires a valid InsertCommand?

mukulmukul

Programming Experience
Beginner
hi
i m finding difficulty with a minor proj i have been given
i have just started to learn .net
so if the questions are silly the do help me out
i have to create a web form
that has fields first name, last name, age, number of an employee and then push these in a database
i am using a ms access database with fields number(primary key) , full name, age

here is what i have coded

Imports System.Data
Imports System.Data.OleDb

Partial Public Class _Default
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
Dim firstname As String
Dim lastname As String
Dim age As Integer
Dim empnum As Integer

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

End Sub

Protected Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles TextBox1.TextChanged
firstname = TextBox1.Text
End Sub

Protected Sub TextBox2_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles TextBox2.TextChanged
lastname = TextBox2.Text
End Sub

Protected Sub TextBox3_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles TextBox3.TextChanged
age = Val(TextBox3.Text)

End Sub

Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
Dim con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
con.ConnectionString = "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source = C:\Documents and Settings\mukul\My Documents\emp.mdb"
con.Open()

MsgBox("A Connection to the Database is now open")
Dim ds As New DataSet
Dim da As OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
Dim sql As String
sql = "Select * from employee"
da = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(Sql, con)
da.Fill(ds, "employee")
Dim i As Integer
i = ds.Tables("employee").Rows.Count
Dim dsNewRow As DataRow
dsNewRow = ds.Tables("employee").NewRow()
dsNewRow.Item(0) = empnum
dsNewRow.Item(1) = firstname & " " & lastname
dsNewRow.Item(2) = age
ds.Tables("employee").Rows.Add(dsNewRow)

da.Update(ds, "employee")

End Sub

Protected Sub TextBox4_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles TextBox4.TextChanged
empnum = Val(TextBox4.Text)
End Sub
End Class

this prog is showing an error in the update statement
the error is
"Update requires a valid InsertCommand when passed DataRow collection with new rows."
i dont knw what it is.. n i have no idea to how to correct it
can ne one help me out. and provide me with corrections or corrected code... i dnt have time.. i have to submit it tomoro

Data can't be saved to a database without some SQL code to control how it's done. If you add new rows to a DataTable you can't save those new rows without a SQL INSERT statement. You need to provide that INSERT statement to your OleDbDataAdapter, in the form of its InsertCommand property, either by manually creating an OleDbCommand or by using an OleDbCommandBuilder to generate it. You should look up the OleDbDataAdapter.InsertCommand property and/or the OleDbCommandBuilder class in the MSDN Library documentation.

Back