Question Unable to copy resource files during web application build

blubberboy

Programming Experience
3-5
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question but I'm getting desperate here!!

I have been using VS2005 to maintain an ASP web application coded in VB,NET. My coding skills aren't great but all was well until this morning when, following a 1-line fix I attempted to build the solution in Release mode. Mid-way through the build VS2005 crashed. Now, every time I try to do the build I get 193 errors, each indicating that .resource files cannot be copied from obj/release to obj/release (with an extra namespace) as they don't exist in obj/release. If I try to do a build in Debug mode I get the same errors telling me that the.resource files cannot be copied from obj/release to obj/debug.

The application uses resx. files, but I don't recall ever before seeing them in the obj folder after a build. When I spoke to the only other person in the building with some VS knowledge he was surprised too.

This is VERY frustrating, because I suspect a simple change in the project settings somewhere would fix this. In the meantime I have a client waiting for their new software and am getting nowhere.

HELP!!!!

Well I have fixed this to a degree by copying the necessary files from an old back-up back into both obj/debug and obj/release. The problem seems to happen when I take the the option to rebuild the solution which seems to cause VS2005 to crash and wipe out the necessary resource files. As long as I don't take this option it seems to hang together OK.

Back