Trying to get the most out of Web Services .NET 2.0!!!

Administrator

VB.NET Forum Admin
Programming Experience
10+
Well, it's been one frustrating two days trying to get the best performance out of .NET 2.0 web services via the new binary serialization! I have a base class that handles the serialization using the binary formatting both serializing and deserializing.

I am trying to get the web services as small as possible for the most performant smart client experience. I'm also concerned in retrieving datasets with records in the range of 10,000 records! Whether paging or not, 10,000 has to be retrieved, how do you do this with the best performance? That is the challenge!

Compression, Binary Formatting, passing a Byte Array, etc.

Well, after fighting this for two days, something I budgeted one hour to complete, and I still have another day at it! On the deserialization end I keep getting this error: "Unable to find assembly 'App_Code.xyz...' and this is obviously coming from the server side, when I'm deserializing on the client side! Well, come to find out from this reply in another thread I googled, I quote:

Since ASP.NET 2.0 will compile DataSet (in App_code ) into a dynamic random assembly, I suggest you separate the DataSet or other similar classes into a external class library project. Thus, you can reference this class library assembly and classes in both client and server project.

Well, I tried the class library idea, so far that's not working either! Not feeling the luv from VS 2005 right now! :)

So where am I now, I'm encrypting then compressing a string and converting it to a byte array and retrieving it this way. I do need security as well, so I'm taking advantage of both the security and IO.Compression capabilities as well.

So if there are any advanced, expert, dream team web service guru's out there, feel free to share a project on using the binary formatting serialization to get the best possible web service throughput.

Also, anyone have a good handle on web services and the attributes of the WebMethod() such as the cache, session, and buffer elements? I need to read up on these to see how best to employ them as well. Any pointers to save my time in research would be appreciated! But most importantly is the above issue with trying to use the binary remoting capabilities of ASP.NET 2.0, or is it NOT designed for passing datasets from server to client tiers?

I have a project at this post where binary serialization between different assemblies is the issue, and a common class library the solution. It's not webservice but a regular client/server socket app-set. Maybe you can have a look and figure out from there?

Thanks! I'll take a look and see, I just don't want to have to wrap every DataSet schema in a class library to use on both ends. I'm going to also explore a precompiled web service instead of the standard ASP.NET 2.0 dynamically compiled and see if that makes a difference, among a few other ideas to explore.

Back