Question Transfer data From Clients to Server through Web

Rotty

Programming Experience
10+
I need to transfer data from desktop application to a server through Internet.
There will be 50 Odd Clients that hosts the client application. Each client will have atleast 500 odd records to transfer every day.

The Server has a Static IP. What is the best solution to transfer data across. Should I use a web service to do this or should I establish a direct connection to the database from the client and transfer the Data.

Your valuable Suggestions Please .....

ransfer data From Clients to Server In Vb .NET through Web

Actually, I would prefer having the users downloading from a FTP server. It's faster and more secure. Simply make a ftp server (FileZilla, CuteFTP ect ect...)
and have the app download the files from the FTP server using this method for visual basic 2008.

My.Computer.FileSystem.DownloadFile("ftp://yourFTPsite","Path to download to including ext.","ftp username","ftp password")

Wouldn't a web service be more secure?

I could be wrong but doesn't FTP send not only the usernames and passwords but also the files themselves unencrypted? Web Services you can get much better security.

From the sound of it you want the clients to do some work and then update the main DB to reflect these changes. If you used FTP your client machines would need to create some file, upload the file, kick off a processor, and then process the file. If you used a web service you would eliminate the middle man. Simply pass all the information as a parameter and then process it in the web service.

Back